Thursday, March 10, 2016

Glowing Cat

This is my cat on top of a ping pong table. The ping pong table is located in a room with a window behind/ to the right of it. In the afternoon, the sun comes in through the window and shines on the ping pong table, (which is an unfortunate placement of the table, because it glares off of the surface and makes it difficult to see the ball). Last week I was playing ping pong with my mom around 2pm. Naturally, my cat jumped up and started playing with us and then got tired and plopped over in the middle of the table. The sunlight was directed at her, and because her fur is white, it did not absorb any of the light rays from the sunlight, instead reflecting them all back to our eyes. She was glowing. This glowing effect was even more pronounced because the ping pong table and the walls are dark blue, and absorb most of the colors of light from the sunlight, so most of the light did not get bounced off of them and they ended up with much lower intensities than she did. The initial feeling I had looking at her was awe, because she looked beautiful and almost holy, like the effect we describe from the backlight PAR. My next reaction, once I processed my thoughts of a glowing cat, was that it was hilarious, just because of the situation. I've often seen pictures of cats where the eyes glow because they reflect light, but I've never seen glowing fur before. My final reaction was again beauty and happiness. The whole situation brought joy to my day, but on top of that, the contrast of the darkness of the backround and the brightness of her fur was pleasing to my eyes. It brought to focus and attention to her instead of to the world around her, but the brightness did not hurt my eyes because it was balanced and relieved by the darkness, and did not overwhelm me. This is actually my computer wallpaper now because I enjoyed it so much.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful analysis of color theory and composition - very sophisticated and fun post :)

    ReplyDelete