Saturday, March 12, 2016

Week 10: Under the Tree, Staring Up at the Sky, Talking about Life


On Friday night, I was hanging out with a friend, and we had some time to kill before we were going to see Woyzeck.  We spent a good long time in the campus pub, and I had a few too many beers.  So, I decided to lie down on a concrete barrier and look up at the stars.  She told me to take a picture for the lighting blog, so I did.  I took a picture of my view staring up at the sky, and the tree.  The lens flare was a happy accident.  The flare from a nearby light caught on my camera, and it gave the image a whole new power.  J.J. Abrams be jealous of my lens flare game.  The light scattering across my camera lens created this image.  I looked at the harsh streak across the tree.  The tree is washed out by the scattering of the light across the lens.  I like that it forms a pattern blocking out the tree, making everything washed in tone and color.  It helped create a dynamic look.  The picture came to life when the flare shot across my camera and animated it.  It's a sort of action, and the flare almost aggressively announces its presence in the picture.  At that point ti's a declarative moment of action, of liveliness.  It was kind of amazing to look at.

1 comment:

  1. Great image - looked like a Japanese painting. Great observations about it as well./
    On a side note, JJ Abrams wife has barred him from doing any more lens flairs in his films :)

    ReplyDelete