Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Week 10 - LED Ferris Wheel

I am not necessarily fond of selfies, but this particular picture has some unique lighting and context that's worth sharing. On Saturday, March 5th I went on a night stroll through the Irvine Spectrum with some good friends of mine and I couldn't help but noticing the newly refurbished, colossal, and bright LED lit Ferris Wheel. I am very much afraid of heights, which explains why I was never really into the idea of riding a giant Ferris Wheel anytime soon. However, I must say that it was the first instance in my life in which a composition of beautifully colored lights lured me in to do something adventurous and daring. I decided to take a leap and go for the ride. I was quickly caught off guard by the ambient lighting in each gondola which truly set a relaxing mood for the whole ride. I was very surprised by the fact that I didn't even feel a bit uncomfortable, instead, I was thoroughly enjoying the wonderful view of the city at night. I captured this picture when I was all the way on top, and I was luckily able to include both the panoramic view as well as the fading LED lights in one shot. It was genuinely a one of a kind experience that would not have been the same if I did not pay such particular attention to lighting design. It's experiences like these that make you appreciate design classes, because you start realizing how the concepts you learn tie directly to your everyday life. Thank you, Lonnie, for such a well-executed and thorough learning experience.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice last post. So glad you are appreciating what lighting does to an atmosphere and our emotions. A good friend of mine designed the lighting for the wheel and another good friend does all the programming for it :)

    ReplyDelete