Monday, February 15, 2016

Week 6 - Sparkles


Last weekend I went to Rodeo Dr. to see a Van Cleef and Arpel Museum. The lighting on this piece really caught my eye. It was just a small broach of diamonds, but each diamond reflected many lights of many different colors. This picture doesn't even capture all of the lights reflecting from each stone. My first reaction was awe- I couldn't stop staring. Then the brooch just seemed mystifying and made me really happy. Now that I think about it, the diamonds must each have been very colorless and cut to form a sort of prism, bringing out all of the colors in the white lights shining down on it. It is amazing craftsmanship, but more amazing is physics in the natural world, that so much beauty can be held in a stone.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post - yes, the purity and prism like quality of diamonds catch light in such an amazing way which is why I am always so amazed when people light jewelry stores in fluorescent light - such a waste

    ReplyDelete