Sunday, February 28, 2016

Week 8- The Window



My apartment overlooks a small fields of trees and ivy.  It's something that I walk by every day without really acknowledging.  However, today struck me as interesting.  As I sat at my coffee table, I noticed that I really don't keep lights on.  I use this window for most light throughout the day, and only use the indoor lights when absolutely necessary.  There is a kind of interesting dynamic between shadow and light.  Most of my apartment is cast in shadow throughout most of the day, but it isn't dim.  It's not hard to see.  The light refracts off of the white walls and bounces around the apartment providing a huge amount of light from such a small window.  It's incredible that each part of the apartment is illuminated, or maybe my eyes are just adjusted to the dim light being thrown around.  The sunlight is forced into the room at an angle, but still finds a way to bounce around the room and illuminate the details of the space.  It's a comforting light, and doesn't contrast ominous shadow.  Even at night, the apartment is illuminated by the light of the moon, and the outside street lamps.  This window is the main source of light throughout the day, and provides the perfect amount of light to keep the room comfortable and easy to see.  It's a beautiful source of light throughout the day, and when the sun sets, is the only time the indoor lights have to come on.  It's just the power of natural light at work.

1 comment:

  1. Really great observances of the quality of light, what it does, and why you prefer it to artificial light

    Great post

    ReplyDelete