Sunday, February 28, 2016

Week 8: Reina


This is Reina. I have many pictures like this of Reina. She has been in my family for... for a long time now. She was a rescue, so her age is approximate, but she's either 18 or 19. In human years. She's old. She's almost gone, and that will be a hard day.

She moved out with my sister a few years ago, and when my sister leaves town we take care of her. Like I said I have had many photos of her in a similar framing: her silhouette, patiently waiting by the door for my sister. I've often wondered what her thoughts were like as she stared into the light-rectangle that is our front door: it seems to be promise, the outside world, the place that her loved ones return from.

But this time, the picture is her wandering off, rejecting the light as she goes to do... dog things. But through her, this light-rectangle has become a strong symbol I think of often.

1 comment: