Monday, January 18, 2016

Week 2 - A Summer Vacation in California


Back in the summer of 2011, my father gave me his old DSLR. That entire summer, he gave me a lot of advice and showed me a lot about photography, which, to this day, has become a small hobby of mine. That summer, my father, sister, and I visited the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles. This water fountain is just outside the entrance. I was immediately captivated by its placement and the look of the reflection. I decided to place my camera down on the edge of the water fountain and took a somewhat long exposure shot. Funnily enough, the man in the photo was still for the entire shot.

This is among my favorite photos I took during that trip to California (at the time, I was in High School in Alaska, my home state). Looking at this photo now, I am still brought a sense of calmness and serenity. The warm of the buildings meeting with the cool of the sky and water provides a sense of evenness. A midway between warm and cool. Balance. I am always amazed by the beauty that can be provided just by natural light. Of course, this is near an art museum and it is meant to look, well, like art. In this same vein, however, it gives me an insight into the consideration and design behind placing this fountain here. The symmetry and clash of warm and cool colors creates, again, a sense of evenness. The natural light from the sun was used to its full advantage. The light is unfiltered, unfocused. The wash of natural light gives this scene the best light needed.

Love & Happiness,

Jerel Xander Aurelio Cabesas

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post and thoughts, you are going to enjoy taking what you know through the camera to lighting projects on stage

    I look forward to seeing your work

    ReplyDelete