Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week 4 - Curtains


I have seen this window so many times throughout the past year, and yet I hadn't really thought about it until I was looking at it today while listening to the harsh winds. It's a window that I hadn't really consciously noticed much before, with its thick ornate cloth curtains that blocks out the world outside. The curtain's fabric is rather white, however when the sunlight shines through it, the curtains appear to be a very light beige or cream. It reminds me of how light can make colors appear differently, similar to what we discussed in color theory class. I notice the pleats, and how the bunches of fabric take the light differently. Some bunches of fabric allow the bright light to shine through, while some end up in shadow. It is easy to see the pretty ornate pattern of the fabric through the brightly lit portions of the curtains as well. The dim light that shines through is much more calming to me than if I were to open the curtains and to allow more direct sunlight into the room. It allows the light around me in the room to be much more muted, and easier to take in.

Whenever I am in a room, I often find myself closing the curtains or the blinds, as direct or bright sunlight often causes me to have headaches, or hurt my eyes. And yet sometimes I wonder if it's also a need for privacy, or a paranoia of leaving a room open for anyone to see. Perhaps I should try leaving my window open to see how it is, one day, and to take note of how much differently the light affects the room.

1 comment:

  1. Nice photo and subtle analysis of the image and how it makes you feel - the pattering in the curtains, brought out by the light, is really nice.

    Nice post

    ReplyDelete