Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week 4: Ring of light




Note: If your screen is dim you may not be able to see the ring of light in the picture.

I was walking my girlfriend to her car around midnight last Tuesday. We happened to look up at the moon and notice this strange ring of light that I couldn't recall ever catching before. For a quick moment I wondered if it was a rare natural phenomena, or if it portended something bad--my mind jumped to the Porter Ranch gas leak--or it was something common, that I was too distracted to ever note. My mind raced, and then calmed, as I was taken in by the beauty of this ring of light. It can probably be explained simply, but in the moment I was overtaken by awe. I stared at it for a good few moments, and in those moments all the mundane pressing needs of the world fell away.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this many times over the years and it is a natural occurrence based on able and particles in the air but I cannot completely explain it

    Nice description of mixed emotions - shows how context can make the same image beautiful or scary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one definitely gives me an eerie mystery feel like I can transform into a wolf from looking at it, but wait... Its the sun. The glare seems magnificent and pulsing. Light can do strange things

    ReplyDelete