Sunday, January 17, 2016

Week 2: A long hike



This past weekend, I went for a hike with my friend who's home from the east coast where he's going to school. We used to run and hike a lot in the hills near my home--the Puente Hills. I was a bit cavalier with our navigation. I knew the trails, vaguely. There was a dialogue going on about whether or not my friend's shoes were appropriate for this trail, and most of my directions ended in "... I think," or "I'm pretty sure." We found our way to the main trail, but it was getting dark. By the time we got back to my car, it was how you see in the picture. This house (it might be a service station) was a ways off from the trailhead. In the day, it's unassuming. At night, in the dark, it's a beacon. Seeing it was comforting, relieving, assuring. The light illuminated what I seemed to know, vaguely. Any bad feelings that were maybe rankling between us were dispelled and it helped to usher in a finality to the hike. The drive back was pleasant.

1 comment:

  1. Great connection between light and feelings of safety and how that affected you

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete