Monday, January 11, 2016

Week 2 - Late to Class


On the first Tuesday of the quarter, I looked up my class location on myEEE, but read the discussion location instead of the lecture location and was sitting in the wrong classroom. When I realized what I had done, I only had a few minutes to get to the correct classroom, which was across campus. I started to run from the Ayala Science Library area into Aldrich Park as the sun was setting and saw the most beautiful colors in the sky. I decided that stopping for a picture was worth being late to class. The clouds from all of the rain that day were smudging the sunset, so that the pink in the sky was more like soft splash of color instead of the usual fade from blue to various shades of pink and orange. There was another smaller, soft splash of yellow inside of the pink, where I think the sun was hiding. The blend of colors, with the yellow on the inside of the pink smudge reminded me of a flame, but one that is extraordinarily fluffy, soft, and safe. It was breathtaking and comforting, like the sun was trying to make up for the cold, rainy, day. The dark foliage hugging the right side and underneath the sky seemed to provide a dark and shadowy contrast to the sky, exaggerating the brightness of the sky and helping the colors in the sky to pop. I think this is interesting that I first thought of it in terms of the darkness accentuating the light, since the light of the sky behind the trees is what made them look so dark in the first place. However, it ends up seeming to work in the opposite direction to make the sky more dramatic and important. The pink in the sky is also so intense, that the reflection of it can be seen in the floor tiles, splashing color around the tables. The warm pink glow of sunset seemed to soak into the whole world, triumphing over the gray gloomy day.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful first post. Great mix of what you are seeing with how it affected you. I hope you were not too late but great moment :)

    ReplyDelete