Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week 4: Griffith Observatory



I don't get off the campus much, but I was fortunate enough to travel to Los Angeles.  I decided to finally see the Griffith Observatory for the first time, and I was enthralled by the building.  What stands out in my is the afternoon light that hit the building.  There's a certain majesty and crispness to winter sunlight.  The air is a lot heavier with moisture and the sun refracts off of that, giving winter light a much heaver darker hue.  The clouds offered the perfect contrast to the chaotic city as they drifted over the skyscrapers listlessly.  The observatory is placed in the only forested area, and it reminded me of the forests I used to hike in, back in the South Bay.  Overall, the feeling that I got was a certain majesty and grace.  There's something special about this time of year, as winter starts to dissipate and spring leaps into the gap that winter has created.  It's all reflected in the way the sun reflects off of the surfaces of the buildings.  The sky seems to reflect the golden light and make it darker.  All over the chaos of one large city.  It's was gorgeous.

1 comment:

  1. Really great analysis of winter light :) Great connections to emotion as well.

    Nice post

    ReplyDelete