Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week 4 - Beach Boys


I grew up listening to classic rock. In Italy, the only English music that was played on the radio was classic rock. As a result, most of my favorite bands come from the 50’s to the 80’s. Included in this group of my favorite music is The Beach Boys. Barely speaking a word of English, I tried to sing along to songs like “Fun,” “California Girls,” and “Kokomo.” When I moved to Southern California and witnessed the sunsets and sandy beaches that inspired so many beautiful harmonies, my love for the band grew even greater. Over the past weekend, a dream came true and I had the privilege of watching The Beach Boys (including most original members) perform live. The concert took place last Sunday evening at the Renee and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall in Costa Mesa. It was a rather chilly night as my friends and I walked to the venue, but once we got to our seats we warmed with beach vibes that illuminated the stage. The warm tones of lights on the stage, paired with the palm trees and surfboards made you forget that it was winter outside. In the particular picture, the lighting changed to a cool blue that reminded me of the color the moon makes when it reflects on the ocean at night. The band sang “Surfer Girl,” a slower song that features beautiful harmonies and a romantic melody line and the audience members took out their phones and used their light as modern-day lighters to sway in the air along with music. It was an unforgettable moment hearing one of my favorite bands, play one of my favorite songs.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you were able to see this and at a time that you could appreciate the atmosphere set by the lighting

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete